Wednesday 13 March 2013

So what's it all about then?

Two elderly, and very, very wealthy, and very, very, very competitive businessmen were attending the funeral of an equally wealthy and equally competitive old friend.

"How much did he leave?" asked one of the other.

"He left the lot", said his friend.

Of course we all know this, that the important things in life are not money, status, job titles, cars, how much our house is worth, all of that. We all know that in our heads, we probably all articulate these type of sentiments on a regular basis. We actually mean it when we say it. But do you, I, ever do anything about it?

The important things (bar one of which more later), are actually our loved ones, our friendships, the wind in your face, the sun on your back, the sunset, the music that makes you feel 17, the demonstration that will change the world, and the time you did something genuinely important and valuable at work. And the minute that you spent really believing you were about to see West Ham win the FA Cup. (I really, really hate Steven Gerard.)

So in honour of that cliche (does anyone know how to do accents on blogger? If so, please send me a message and tell me how), this post is dedicated to the following:

Mike Scott :          It opens up my soul & torches up a fire inside of me
Nicky Wire:          Libraries gave us power
Billy Bragg:          We dreamed of her & compared our dreams
Andy Partridge:    Your heart is a big box of paint
Paul Hewson:       Ambition bites the nails of success
Paul Wellar:            You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets & guns
Shane MacGowan  Well so could anyone
Kirsty MacColl:      I want to live before I die
Paul Simmonds:  While Pitt stood helpless, we were waiting for Bonaparte
Patty Griffin:        I was lost in the glow of love

The other thing?

You need to ask? Best play this without the sound. Thank heavens he's out of that Sky shirt.

Tomorrow, if I can get off Youtube, I'll tell you all about the Wiltshire Wildcat Sportive that I rode at the weekend!









No comments:

Post a Comment