Thursday 8 June 2023

It’s a long climb up the dusty mountain

 “It's a long climb up the dusty mountain

To build a turret tall enough to keep you out
But when you wage your wars against the one who adores you,
Then you'll never know the treasure that you're worth
But I've never been a wealthy one before
I've got holes in my pockets burned by liars gold,
And I think I'm far too poor for you to want me”

Today was a great day, no, wait, the best of days. I was slow, so very slow up the hills. Choosing a steel-framed, heavy-wheeled, saddle-bag-ladened and mudguard-equipped bike didn’t help. As Ray asked me, “why did you bring a knife to a gunfight?” Whilst my three companions were on disc-brakes, I was squeezing for grim death on the steepest of gravel-infused gnarly descents on my poor rim-braked 32-spoked wheels, hoping they wouldn’t stop too fast. But in truth, my lesser climbing ability and lower power to weight ratio probably mattered more.

But that all didn’t matter much. The views from the Wellington monument were superb, the lanes with their bluebells were exquisite and the company at coffee, with the camaraderie on the ride was the best.

Lately I have been thinking more and more about what really matters in life. My Dad’s (almost) final words to me was that real life is about relationships. Just because it’s such a cliché doesn’t mean that’s not true. But I think it’s more subtle than that. It’s about sharing the journey, seeing the same things, laughing at the same time, and being prepared to wait for the slow coach at the top of the hill, whilst loving the exhilaration of riding together down the other side.

Today is an anniversary of something I didn’t enjoy or like, but it’s led me into good places. It’s also started something of another journey for me, I don’t know what exactly and I don’t know where it’s taking me, but I’m really enjoying it so far. When I focus on that, instead of the petty stresses and strains that don’t matter, life is much calmer, easier, happier. Try it.

“I ran like a speeding train
Cut my hair and changed my name
Only had myself to blame
For the company I was keeping”

I’ve posted a few short video clips of today’s ride in the Blackdowns on my Instagram (guybuckland77), take a look, it was a lovely, pretty carefree day. Send me a follower request if you are interested. In the meantime, here are a few snaps from today at the Wellington Monument.







No comments:

Post a Comment