Wednesday 11 April 2012

Dream our dreams alone with no resistance

I'm not one for blogging the commuting rides any more, they are too predictable, same roads, same traffic, blah, blah, blah.

But today, aside from managing to get my chain jammed around my chain set and crank, just when I joined a main road, necessitating much fettling, banging and a lot of swearing, two significant things happened. Although you can be the judge of that.

First, although lots of rain showers this evening and last night, the weather at dawn was monumentally gorgeous. Sunshine, myriad of colours at sunrise over the hills. Low hanging sun reflecting off the surface water, fair dazzling me on the back roads. Which means SUNGLASSES!!!! Yes, I wore sunglasses all the way in, and all the way home. And that means Summer is just around the corner.

Second, I said goodbye to my black Cateye bike computer. Or rather, I didn't, because it fell off somewhere between Coronation Road and Long Ashton, and despite doubling back, I didn't find it. I lost a back light recently, it was clipped to the saddle bag and I think someone nicked it at a pedestrian crossing.

Now losing kit is not that significant. The thing is, when I thought about it, I was a bit sad. That computer has been from Land's End to John O' Groats. Across the Pyrenees from Hendaye to Cerebere in 100 hours. We have done numerous sportives and ACG rides. All of that is very sad. But the real significance? I realised I have a spare one, so don't need to buy another.

As my maternal grandmother used to say, "Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got". Or something.

I have no stats from the ride home, so it had to be neutralised, ride on feel, which is actually quite liberating. Not that I'm in a hurry to try it again.

If it that's a bit cheesy for you, thank your lucky stars you are not Fabian Cancellara at the moment. For all his power and glory, his collar bone is not in a good way, as this shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment