Friday 13 April 2012

Everything has to be paid for

I gained about 5 pounds in weight on the ride home tonight. Not by stuffing myself with cake or Easter Egg, no by acting as an unofficial reservoir for Somerset's imminent official drought. I thought that the real reservoirs would never be able to catch all that water falling out of the sky, so I'd use my socks, my leg-warmers and coat to mop it up for them.

People joke about me at work. It had been a gloriously sunny day in Bristol, all day until about ten to five. Then the clouds rolled in, the sky darkened and down came the rain. Of course it is my own fault for crowing this morning about what a wonderful ride I had on the way in. I left just after dawn, and cycling up from Wrington I looked down into the valley to see the mist beneath me, and the pink sky of the sunrise above me. Well, see for yourself.

Dawn over Wrington
There was still a lot of water about on the road, but I didn't care. I suspected I'd be hot on the way home, I'd dressed for a midpoint between forecasts, 2 degrees at dawn, 13 degrees at 5PM.

So the weather gods got me good and proper and no mistake. Rain, headwind, even hail. I really should have known better. I'm planning on going out on Sunday, so if you have any outdoor activities planned for the weekend, do them tomorrow. I guarantee rain on Sunday from about 11.30 onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment