Saturday 12 November 2011

All that you build, all that you break

Get yourself a hot drink, plump up the cushions, settle back into your seats, I'm back. So welcome, officially, to Mendip Rouleur, the new home, of, well The Mendip Rouleur. It was OK for Luca Brasi but not for me. I know. One day, I hope this blog will be as big as Fishneedsabicycle wasn't.

I consulted the modern day font of all knowledge, Wikipedia, to see what the official definition of a rouleur is. You can read it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouleur

Good all-rounder is the essence of it. Or "crap in every position" as we used to say about football's equivalent, the utility player. Either way, I am delighted to see that Jens is quoted as an example of a rouleur, and I hope by re-branding my blog to get one millionth of his savvy coolness rubbing off on my attempts to meet my cycling objectives for 2012.

This is the best clip of Jens that I could find imo. I particularly like his comments about his suitcase, definitely a Perceiving type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH5euS3lTUI&feature=BFa&list=PL5272E3153BBF896A&lf=results_main

More on the 2012 objectives when I've worked them out. I've already entered a few rides, Mad March Hare, Dartmoor Classic and Tour of Wessex (all 3 days of the latter, which this year I will complete.). Fighting talk. I also have a vague plan to go and do the Dragon ride without paying, I feel morally justified, but don't know if I can be bothered. I won't take their food, so I won't cost them anything, just follow the route and suck the wheels. I also want to do the White Horse challenge for the fun and beauty of it, without aiming for a fast time.

So to today, the ACG, Figgy, Boots, Doc, Skip and I headed out on a lovely route up Shipham Hill, over the top of the Mendips and down to Wells, with a stop at the Fenney Castle tea rooms, before a nice dash over the levels and back home. With a fast descent of Notting Hill in there too, it was a blast, really enjoyed it. I had 3/4 length shorts on, and my legs looked like they had one of those mud baths you get at an expensive hotel spa. Or not. Perhaps this could be the active and cheaper alternative. Muddy does not come close, and as the 5 of us were fairly together most of the time, we all had an urchin look about us at the end.

Route from Charlie is here:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/444324

I was having a chat with an IP lawyer the other day about who actually owns my "work" on this blog. As you may be able to imagine if you know any IP lawyers, it was a very interesting discussion, and I think we concluded that Google do. Own the work that is. Which is probably fitting, because in about 10 years time the whole of world's property, tangible, intellectual or any other kind you can imagine, will be owned by either Google or the Chinese government. Or maybe the oil sheiks, but by then their time will be passing. So this blog is a temporary home, someday, maybe not soon, but someday, it will exist as a standalone site. So pay attention or I'll lose even more of you.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you back! Look forwards to more musings, bike news & Buckland antics.

    ReplyDelete