Sunday 20 November 2011

Sun shines through the rain

Circumstances separately collaborated to ensure that neither Skip nor I had riding companions this weekend. She got to ride a loop of the Mendips on a bright and breezy Saturday, while I was enduring Shopping centre hell, followed by what proved to be a precautionary trip to the local A & E (for Mrs Mendip Rouleur, who hasn't broken her fingers, just very badly bruised them, in a bizarre Ferdinandesque incident).

So to make things vaguely interesting, to me at least if no-one else, I decided to ride the same route the following day, but in reverse. Plus a bit more to my house and back. It can therefore be described as a virtual impromptu reverse ride in a pair. Maybe.

http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/2011/11

My weather was best described as mainly murky. I don't understand how I can have mist and wind all at the same time. But that is what greeted me as I peered out into the gloom. I put a warmer coat on and headed off down to Cheddar, and up its gorge. Almost all the way to the top of the Old Bristol road I had a nagging headwind. I say nagging, because although irritating, it doesn't really make any difference to you, just buzzes around ineffectually and annoyingly.

Old Bristol Hill was wet and bit gritty, so I didn't hit it full gas on the descent, and just as I passed the cathedral, it was time to go up again, although now I had a nice push from the tailwind, but I still found it hard to get into a rhythm. Taking the back lane at the top of the hill past some people in a field, clay-pigeon shooting, I managed to cover myself and the bike in a nice thick layer of mud. By the time I was on the main road I was toying with baling. Good job I didn't, I ate a small energy bar, got my head down and decided I was going to enjoy myself.

With the full wind at my back, the speed rose and I even hit the lights at Green Ore on green, and breezed down into Chewton Mendip and along to Litton and East Harptree. I was on a roll, especially as the sun was out on the north side of the Mendips, and this continued all the way up the hill and along the top to the start of Burrington Coombe. Which is always a great descent. After a slow 90 minutes I was making up for lost time, and looped round through Langford and Churchill and up to Shipham.

I was overtaken by some motorbikes just as I started to descend Shipham gorge, and yes, it was the old braking issue again, which rather spoiled my fun on the last corner and sprint for the roundabout in Cheddar. It was still gloomy back on the south side, but no matter, it was a tailwind up the bypass to home, total distance of 43.74 and average speed of 15.3 mph (Charlie lost reception for a bit, so his stats below are not 100% reliable).

 
There weren't many cyclists out today, at least, not where I was. I think there may have been something going on in Cheshire, either that or they are all down on the levels at Sweets. I didn't have any problems with cars either, unusual for a Sunday, although I'm beginning to get a hang-up about motorbikes stopping me descending hills at optimum speed.
 
 
I have a couple of commuting trips planned for this week, but no riding next weekend as it is mini Mendip Rouleur's birthday, so it will probably go quiet here for a bit. I hope to announce my plans for 2012 shortly, I can tell you are all baiting your breath in feverish excitement.
 
On a separate note, please keep the evening of 22nd December free. I assume that you will all have your phone's glued to your ears, with Cav's allotted number on speed dial and number repeat. Cycling may well be the new golf, but that does not give us the excuse to allow a man who looks more at home in the pub than in professional sport to win Sports Personality of the Year. Quite simply Mark Cavendish has had the greatest year a British (and I'm not having any truck about his nationality, what was he wearing in Copenhagen? Thank you, end of.) cyclist has ever had, and may well ever have.
 
Cycling is here to stay. When I was a teenager I tended to wear my heart on my sleeve, yes even more than now. Some of our kit may be carbon, and I know I am a junkie for expensive sunglasses. But cycling still has heart and soul, I was 12 inches away from Cav on Old Bristol Hill for Pete's sake! The same hill that I descended today and Skip climbed yesterday. It is the people's sport and needs that recognition. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment