Thursday 22 March 2012

Stay safe tonight

I haven't posted for a while, a mixture of too tired after long rides, not enough time, all that.

I had a lovely ride to and from work today, over 50 miles, plenty of hills and plenty of fast descents. 47 mph coming down Dundry Hill and a night drop through the gorge. And a Harptree, the East one. Wrington Hill, Providence Lane and a few other bits and bobs.

And shorts. This morning I had the leg and arm warmers on, but took the former off to expose my pristine legs to the good people of Bristol and North Somerset. It is Spring and so nice to feel some warmth on my face.

But, there is always a but. It's the first time I have not worn hi-viz on the commute this year. I was wearing brilliant white, with yellow flashes, and only three front and three rear lights. And I still had to shout to stop a car from pulling out and hitting me as I rode up St. Peter's Rise in Bedminster. She was on the phone, so I guess I'm being very unreasonable to expect her to see me. Actually she did pull out only to stop when I shouted. She was a foot from me. I was cross.

Is it only a matter of time before a car hits me? Or should I coat myself in hi-viz clothing all year round, paint my face orange and make like a Basque?

To lighten the mood, here is a picture of me at the start line of the Endura Trek (how many sponsors?) Lionheart sportive from last week. Clearly doing the whole Agincourt thing, because it's well-known that the English archers rode monocoque OCLV carbon-fibre to the battle field.



 Don't tell anyone but I'm beginning to like hills again. If you go to Sportive photo's web page and search the event with my number (0146) you will see pictures that belie that statement. I look like I'm entering either a gurning contest or am in extreme pain. I don't remember it like that so I'm at a loss to know why my face is so contorted. Perhaps the inability to breathe had something to do with it, or I'm just not congruent with my body.

I liked Skip's picture better, it's from a distance and shows by backside rather than my twisted face.

Mind you that climb, King Alfred's Tower was a corker, over 18% according to Chrlie, view the route here who packed up a bit and under-recorded the distance. I think it was about 101 miles, but no-one is quite sure. I'm past caring, it was long and I fell asleep on the train to London the next morning.

Skip is now blogging for cyclosport when she does a sportive, but personally I like her Cycling Mayor stuff better, it's more personal and more authentic somehow. we are doing the Joker togehter next week, and I'm really sorry I can't give her a lift at 6.30AM. Contrary to her opinion, it's a great way to slowly wake up in the morning. I just hope she doesn't test me on anything. I ramble away about a load of rubbish too, it's just that I'm incoherent and less eloquent, and less caffinated.

This weather looks set to continue for a few days, so enjoy the road, and show a bit of consideration if you see a driver on the phone, give them a very wide berth.

No comments:

Post a Comment