Sunday 25 March 2012

Where I can wipe away the madness from your face

So here it is, my Sunday recovery ride. I had intended on a rest day today, having had some form of fairly vigorous exercise for the last three days, the missing one from these pages is exercising a dog to exhaustion (another long and dull tale). But logistics have got in the way of my planned schedule for the week ahead, so no commuting on the horizon. And with this weather, well, gift horses, mouths, you know the drill.

As usual in the Mendip Rouleur world, there is a lot going on, work, family, stuff, so I needed what the modern manager calls, "headspace". Personally I prefer the word solitude.

So it got to 3PM and I decided to spin around the levels in a lazy way and do the recovery thing. I was really tired after yesterday, and slept pretty deeply too. Only, at every decision point, hills or flat, I seemed to choose the hill, or I did until I realised I would be out all night if I carried on, so contented myself with just the Gorge and Old Bristol Hill, and a couple of minor bumps.

There were fewer cyclists out today, but still a fair number, I played chase the rabbit a bit, then he caught up with me and sat on my wheel. I really wanted my own company so i let him go and then turned another way, coming down into Wells the straight way, but at least I was on my own. Anti-social maybe, sometimes I just need that.

There are lots of lambs in the fields, another Spring sign, I hope this weather lasts, it just feels so good to be out in shorts and short-sleeves at the moment. Just me and my shadow that is, and my bike of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment