Wednesday 2 May 2012

What gets you moving?

Ah yes motivation. I cycled past motivation corner today on my way home. Not that I dawdled or even thought about it, for I was on something of a mission. I think I recorded a new PB for the fastest home-bound commute. Normally I slog gently home, tired and weary after delivering bucket-loads of value to my employers.

Today I was out of the basement and up the ramp, through the traffic light, like I was Bradley Wiggins trying to win a time trial. Not always a good idea in at ten past five in Bristol's delightful traffic.



Just like me but with talent, speed & style

When I was learning how to manage people (stop laughing!) I learnt all about Mr McGregor. Not the one that tried to shoot Peter Rabbit, but this one. The gist is this.  You want good long term results: be nice. You want short term results: instill fear.

 Guess what I was motivated by today.  Yep, it's Mrs Mendip Rouleur's Yoga night. If I wasn't home by 7PM, I was a dead man. I was home at 6.22.

I always thought it was a bit simplistic, Theory X and Y. Today I have demonstrated  just how simplistic and motivating fear can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment