Tuesday 26 February 2013

The Everyday story of bureaucracy

A first attempt at mobile blogging this.

A couple of weeks ago I exchanged emails with a very nice man from North Somerset District council about a couple of junctions in my cycling parish. Let's see if I can successfully post them for you below.

I'd welcome any opinions as it strikes me that things are going backwards on this front. If I can't ride for a bit because of asthma issues, I met as well make myself useful in other ways.

What do you think?




Mark
Thanks for your response.
Whilst I appreciate your objective logic and the decisions you have therefore made, the end result is that cycling provision across these two junctions has gone backwards.
There may be few cyclists observed, but that is no comfort to those of us that cycle there regularly. It also does nothing to improve the chances of more people cycling in our area. Notwithstanding your comments about being a cyclist, there are references in your mail to “speeding up traffic flow” and seeking to “reducing drivers’ frustration” on the main road. Whilst I know you have to balance the needs of all road users, the encouragement of more cyclists, and their safety on the roads, must be a priority for you? These are main roads, and in the winter they are often the only ones that can be safely cycled on. All the more reason to make them safer.
When I commute through the Churchill junction on a bike, I am usually "taking the lane" in accordance with safe practice recommended by the Highway Code, and then turning right to Sandford. Drivers behind me rev their engines and are impatient at the lights, so that stop box gave me extra time to get across safely without being overtaken. If I'm in front of the line, and I think you are advocating this, not only is it technically illegal, but I run the risk of aggravating drivers behind me and encouraging them to encroach over the line too. If I stay behind the new stop line, as I did last night, as I should as a law-abiding road-user, I am subject to more pressure and have situations like last night, where a car attempts to overtake me half way across the junction. I'd say that's dangerous driver behaviour influenced by junction design.

Clearly, cycling is lower down the priority list than it should be in North Somerset in my opinion. Nonetheless, thank you for taking the trouble and time to share your thinking with me,
Guy



Sent from my iPhone


On 7 Feb 2013, at 15:14, "Mark Cogan" <Mark.Cogan@n-somerset.gov.uk> wrote:
Dear Guy,
I have received an email regarding an issue with Churchill Crossroads and thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone and update you on both matters.  Before I continue I would to point out that I am also a road and mountain cyclist so take these issues seriously when making modifications to the signal junctions.
A38/Sidcot Lane
As far as the progress with possible improvements we were hoping to carry out this year this is not likely to happy now and will likely done in 2015 when the traffic signals are completely refurbished.  I think in the meantime I will have a look at the timings to see if we can increase some timings without adversely affecting waiting times for other motorists getting frustrated on the main road.
A38/Churchill Crossroads
Before I carried out this scheme I made several site visits to monitor the different options and improvements to be carried out on the signals.  During my visits I observed that the cycle traffic volumes were extremely low and the majority of cyclists did not stop behind either of the stop lines and as such not in cycle box and were in fact ahead of both in the junction to get themselves ahead start.  Additionally it was apparent that motorists also crept forward in the advanced box or stop half way in it to begin with. 
I also spoke with our cycle team who ensured me this was not a national cycle route either.
In general for cycle boxes to function properly they require a cycle lane leading up to them to allow cyclists to get through the traffic safely without undertaking large vehicles or jumping the pavement to get to the front of the queue.  At this site there was not the option of providing a cycle lane up to the advanced stop line due to the traffic use and lane widths.
With these observations and design thoughts I had made the decision to remove the advanced cycle areas to provide further capacity to cars and lorries and in turn reduce waiting times all round the junction.  Following observations so far after the signals have been installed I noticed a lot more vehicles are stopping leaving a bigger gap between themselves and the stop line and waiting traffic volumes have reduced.
As a side from these changes it also meant that I am able to reduce my annual maintenance costs with the reduce lining, and loop detection required which in turn reduces the wear of the road surface and reduces the chances of pot holes appearing.
The result of this change I do not feel I have made the situation any dangerous then it was before and in fact not having the forward stop line will not encourage cyclists to undertake or mount the pavement, so as not to put them at risk of being cut up by other motorists, especially those turning left.
I hope this answers your email and my response makes sense
Regards

Mark Cogan
Senior Engineer
Highways Electrical & ITS
Highways and Transport

Phone : 01934 427 392
Fax : 01934 427 430
Post : Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1UJ
Web: www.n-somerset.gov.uk






Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:55 PM
To: Mark Cogan
Subject: Re: Eform Submission - Customer suggestion form


Many thanks Mark, please keep me informed
Guy

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Dec 2012, at 13:55, "Mark Cogan" <Mark.Cogan@n-somerset.gov.uk> wrote:
Dear Guy Buckland,
Thank you for your report on the Traffic Signals at the Junction of A38 and Sidcot Lane, Winscombe.
We are currently in the process of looking at improving the current detection system for that junction which includes improving the site generally. 
Your concern is one of the things being looked into as part of this process, which will improve the time given for cyclists to clear the junction.
I do not have currently have a date when this works will be going ahead as yet but if you would like me to keep you informed I am happy to do so.
Regards

Mark Cogan
Senior Engineer
Highways Electrical & ITS
Highways and Transport

Phone : 01934 427 392
Fax : 01934 427 430
Post : Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1UJ
Web: www.n-somerset.gov.uk



 

No comments:

Post a Comment